The Joy Of An Ex – Legal Aid And Your Family

Home-and-Family Legal Aid Ontario According to Legal Aid Ontario’s mandate as set out under the Legal Services Act, 1998, Legal Aid is committed to promoting access to justice for low income people throughout Ontario. Legal aid is available to assist low income people in many different areas of law, including family, criminal, immigration and refugee, as well as landlord/tenant disputes, and appeals for various government benefit programs such as disability benefits and criminal injuries compensation. With respect to family law, if you or your partner earn low income or are receiving social assistance, you may be eligible to obtain a legal aid certificate to resolve the issues arising from the breakdown of your relationship. Family law issues covered by Legal Aid include custody and access of children, child and spousal support, division of matrimonial property, and Children’s Aid Society matters. Applying For Legal Aid Legal Aid is available through the certificate program, which entitles clients to receive advice and representation by private lawyers. Staff lawyers who work at Family Law Offices in Toronto, Ottawa and Thunder Bay are also available to assist clients with family law matters in these locations. To apply for a legal aid certificate, you must attend in person at a local legal aid office. There are 48 Legal Aid area offices across the Province. You can find the Area Office nearest you in the phone book under "Legal Aid," or through Legal Aid Ontario’s website ( under the heading, "Getting Legal Help." Legal assistance is also available through the .munity legal clinic program, however, they are not able to assist with family law matters. Area Office staff will help you .plete the application for legal aid, and can sometimes provide you with an answer right away regarding whether or not you qualify for legal aid. If you qualify for legal aid and you receive a certificate, you may take the certificate to a lawyer of your choice who practices family law and who accepts legal aid certificates. If you are found not to be eligible for a certificate, and you disagree, you may appeal the decision to the Area .mittee of your local Legal Aid office and they will make a determination whether or not you qualify. It usually takes a few days for the Area .mittee to get back to you once you have submitted your appeal. You can also reapply if there has been a change in your financial circumstances. Legal Aid’s Eligibility Requirements There are two parts to determining whether or not you are eligible for legal aid. First, Legal Aid will look at your assets (such as cash, back accounts, stocks, bonds, and RRSPs) to determine whether or not you could afford a lawyer by yourself. Legal Aid will also look at anything that can be sold or easily converted into cash. Depending on the situation, you may be expected to use some of your assets to help pay for legal fees. If you own a house or property, Legal Aid may also require that a lien be placed against the property. The second part to Legal Aid’s financial eligibility test looks at your in.e. You may be eligible for legal aid without a detailed assessment if your net in.e (i.e. your in.e after tax) is as follows: Monthly or Yearly Family size = 1 $601 $7,212 Family size = 2 $1,075 $12,900 Family size = 3 $1,137 $13,644 Family size = 4 $1,281 $15,372 Family size = 5 $1,281 $15,372 If you are receiving social assistance, then you are usually eligible for legal aid, depending on your available assets. If your in.e is more than the amounts set out above, Legal Aid will require a more detailed test to determine eligibility. To determine net in.e, Legal Aid will deduct payroll deductions, day care costs and child support payments from your gross in.e. Legal Aid then applies a set of standard allowances, which depend on the number of people in your household, to determine your disposable in.e. The amounts of the standard allowances can be obtained from your Legal Aid office. When you do apply for legal aid, you will be asked to provide proof of in.e, such as pay slips, bank records or social assistance statements. To avoid delays, it is best to gather all of this information to include with your initial application. In the end, your Legal Aid office will advise you whether or not you qualify for legal aid, whether you will need to pay for some of your legal fees through a contribution agreement, or whether you will be refused legal aid. Copyright (c) 2011 Jackie Ramler About the Author: 相关的主题文章: